September 07, 2008

Vittapa Ajja said...


On the 6th of September, 2008, Vittapa Shenoy (vittappa ajja ) relinquished his mortal form to live in the skies. He has surely made an indelible impression in my psyche.
At the age of 90 plus, he was truly robust, intelligent and independant for his age. A thinker and a peace lover, he made his contributions to the society by serving as a teacher at a school in Manjeshwar,Kerala. The first thing that comes to my mind as I think of him is his mischievous smile that would later turn to some real fun talk and laughter!! The only 90 year old man I know of who can blow a conch like he was 25! He knew well of sanskrit and the ancient scriptures.

I'd like to share some of his refined views to go about this world.

Vittappajja said:

  • "Don't look into the 'other's' plate.." (i.e; Be in your business and don't bother about another's.. )
  • "God is the giver, he knows what to give to you.. " (Everything you have has been 'given' to you.. the force that gives it to you knows what's best for you..)
  • "Work 'sincerely' and 'honestly' ... don't be greedy (for lack of a better word..) for gain"
  • "Save 25% of your income.. " (Economics??.. :D )
  • "Do sandhya vandan/gayatri (a spiritual practice) everyday.. without fail!! "
:) What I loved most about him was his childlike innocence coupled with a pinch of mischief and genius which clearly reflected in his speech and casual talk. On the surface he was kinda aloof and playful but scrub a couple of layers and you would see a man of sheer depth and wisdom - this I'd like to say..
You are one of the best men that I've seen Vitappajja.. I have felt love and joy in your presence. Thank you for all that you've been.. I'm grateful for you! :D

No comments: